No subject

Thu Aug 20 06:46:28 UTC 2009

 reportbug is a tool designed to make the reporting of bugs in Debian
 and derived distributions relatively painless.

from man reportbug:

reportbug  is primarily designed to report bugs in the Debian
distribution; by default, it creates an email to the Debian bug
tracking system at submit at bugs.debian.org with information about the
bug you've found, and makes a carbon copy of the report for you as
well.

So I think there are plenty of description of what the tool is about
to do: report a bug to the Debian bug tracking system.

> 2.  the bts should make it easy to cc: upstream
>
> it would be great to have reportbug ask if the bug should be sent to
> the bug reporting system for upstream.  might be hard to implement for
> some, but others are simply a lookup by package name and a cc: header.
> i find it annoying to look up the upstream bug list (what address?
> what's the etiquette?  can non-subscribers post?  how to get a cc:
> automatically even for replies?) when it can be done automatically in
> principle via a single interface: reportbug.

No, this is a task for the maintainer: only he/she knows if a bug
applies to the debian package (because of patches introduced in it) or
applies upstream, and so it's his/her responsibility to let the
upstream know about that bug, forwarding accordingly (either via email
or on the upstream BTS) and then tag the bug as forwarded with the
link to look that up.

Regards,