[Restricted-devel] xorg problems with xv_3.10a-1duo+etch1_amd64.deb

Fabian Greffrath fabian.greffrath at lycos.de
Thu Dec 13 00:54:49 UTC 2007

Hi Edward,

Am Dienstag, den 11.12.2007, 18:38 -0500 schrieb Edward C. Jones:
> I have been installing the debian amd64 port on a PC with an AMD Athlon
> 64 +3500 chip. When I tried to install xv_3.10a-1duo+etch1_amd64.deb,
> synaptic wanted to remove xorg.

Yes, these packages are old and will not install on a current system.
Sadly the debian-unofficial.org projects has been put to sleep by its
initiator so this situation is unlikely to change in the short term.
However, I do still actively maintain those packages but do not have
upload access to the debian-unofficial.org archive myself.

> I have never built a Debian package before. How do I use dpkg-buildpackage?
> I did a make in the patched xv source directory.

This surely won't work. Please try the following steps:

Install the following packages (and their dependencies):
# apt-get install build-essential debhelper dpatch fakeroot
libjasper-dev libjpeg62-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev libx11-dev
libxt-dev sharutils subversion zlib1g-dev

Change into the XV source directory and delete the old debian/ dir:
# rm -rf debian

Get the new Debian packaging from SVN:
# svn co svn://svn.alioth.debian.org/restricted/dists/trunk/xv/debian

Delete the SVN control files:
# find . -name '.svn' | xargs rm -rf

Build the package:
# dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc

Install the packages:
# dpkg -i ../xv*.deb

Please tell me if this works for you. Don't hesitate to ask if you
encounter any problems.

Cheers,
Fabian