[sane-standard] Re: [sane-devel] Infrared channel

gerard klaver gerard@gkall.hobby.nl
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:54:36 +0100

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 09:26 +0100, Rene Rebe wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
>=20
> > the problem is our SANE 1 standard, which defines the image format.
> > We have currently only the possibility to pass RGB data to a frontend=
.
> >=20
> > The solution (whenever we can start) is SANE 2 where we have a more f=
lexible
> > approach for transmitting image data to a frontend.
> > It might also be possible for a backend to read the infrared channel =
and to
> > perform i.e. the dust removal in the backend, but this functionality =
should
> > in general be part of a frontend.
> >=20
> > VueScans' advantage or disadvantage here is, that you have a all-in-o=
ne
> > program (scanner-driver + image processor), this has never been the
> > approach of SANE...
> >=20
> > Maybe it's really time now for SANE 2, but it seems we get more and m=
ore
> > problems in writing new driver code, as reverse engineering consumes =
too
> > much time...
>=20
> I think the immediate available development time is too low for SANE 2=20
> right now. But maybe I'm mistaken ... (I would have the time and=20
> motivation to convert the Avision backend but there are so many others=20
> as well as other applications ...)
>=20
> However just adding one or more SANE_FRAME_ types would be a trivial ta=
sk:
>=20
> SANE_FRAME_RGBI =3D 5
> SANE_FRAME_IR =3D 6
>=20
> ;-)
>=20
> But maybe we do not want to do this to have an argument to push SANE 2 =
;-)
>=20
> Yours,
>=20
> --=20
> Ren=E9 Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
>              http://www.exactcode.de/ | http://www.t2-project.org/
>              +49 (0)30  255 897 45
>=20
>=20

Adding some SANE_FRAME_ types which can be used for webcams would also
be nice (jpg for example).
Support for icc profiles in the SANE structure would also be nice
On the Gimp mailinglist they are also busy with discussion about icc
profiles or better a color management system.

If SANE 2 means better support possible for the features of scanners,
webcams there should be made a start someday.=20
Saying this i have no idea how much work it is to convert a SANE 1
backend to a SANE 2 backend and how much work it is to convert/rewrite
the frontends also i don't know much about SANE 2 standaard but i expect
a timetable of 1 or 2 years?

The v4l to v4l2 conversion (kernel modules) shows some comparison that
it takes some time.

--=20
--------
m.vr.gr.