[sane-standard] SANE2: Threading

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Tue Dec 19 23:08:52 CET 2006

trying out the sane-standard list...

i would like to have some discussion about threading in sane, specifically
if removal of threading/forking will adversly affect some of the cheaper
scanners. i wonder if they are more timing sensitive than the more
expensive (smarter?) scanners?

note that i am not talking about non-blocking mode. some scanners can
support that without a background thread, by querying the scanner to see
if its buffer is full yet. if not, return GOOD, with len = 0.

if we determine to keep the threading/forking support, what about the
possibility to 'move' this code up one layer, perhaps into the dll
backend? then we only have to write it once, as opposed to in each
backend. perhaps a layer between the dll and regular backends?

allan