[sane-standard] SANE 2 driver suggestion

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 22:48:28 CET 2007

[SNIP Re: in-kernel drivers]
> It's too bad, though, since there's no way to take advantage of the
> 2.6 kernel's great hardware system without that, and as I said before,
> duplicating it in userspace with a daemon and a list of bus IDs
> compiled from the drivers and everything seems inefficient and
> inconsistent, definitely not the right solution.

inconsistent only as compared to linux, but very consistent as compared to
other platforms, which sane devels must keep in mind.

> Maybe the kernel
> needs a standard way for userspace drivers to register hardware in
> /sys, create device nodes in some way that works well with udev, and
> automatically load the right library (from userspace, of course) when
> the hardware's present, but that's a whole different matter...

this i think is the best solution. a shim inside the kernel, and the bulk of
the code outside.

theoretically, using the description files, sane should be able to map a
specific usb id to a specific backend. scsi is more difficult, pp is almost
impossible. i dont know enough about how things get into /sys to go any
further. must do more research.

allan