[sane-standard] Using id instead of title for well known sources

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at laposte.net
Sun Jan 21 18:19:25 CET 2007

Hi,

> i will maintain that the frontend does not need to parse this string in order
> to determine the need to continue scanning. the backend should tell the
> frontend/user how many pages remain with another well-known option.

This is a case where frontend needs to parse. However, adding a way to
know remaining page is nice. Especially in order to provide nice
proportionned progress bar for mass acquisition.

> 0 for a flatbed or no more pages in any auto feeder (or a manual)
> -1 for a standard adf or film reel with unknown pages still to go,
> 0 for an auto feeder with a known number of pages (multi-slide holder)

I'd prefer to add 1 if backend know there is paper in the feeder, even
if it doesn't know how many. Because the final result will be the same.
By -1, do you mean "i'm not able to know if there is any paper" or "i'm
not able to count the paper in" ?

> the exact values in the 'source' option only need consistency for
> translation purposes.

GnomeScan parse source string in order to translate it into a GEnum.
This is another case for parsing.

Étienne.
--
Verso l'Alto !