[sane-standard] Button handling

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 16:11:25 CET 2007

On 1/22/07, Étienne Bersac <bersace03 at laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > So, SANE_CAP_HARD_SELECT is used (a) for buttons, switches etc, ie.
> > "UI elements" of a scanner, that a user can set and (b) for hardware
> > status, like a sensor that detects the presence of a document in an
> > ADF, or the "ink level" of an imprinter.
>
> Ok. I understand that mention clearer now :). So we only need to
> normalise button option name. Nice.

at this point, only plustek and the test backend use
SANE_CAP_HARD_SELECT. avision
contains a comment that indicates that it did use this once, but
removed it. i think we can
use this to indicate a button or sensor, but i would like to change
the wording of the standard.
it is confusing when it says 'prompt the user', since 'prompt' has a
very context-specific UI meaning.

i will update the fujitsu backend to include this cap on all buttons
in sane1, since this does not violate standard.

for sane2, i think the description of this cap needs to be extended to
indicate that the frontend should poll the backend to check for the
value of this option changing.

allan