[Secure-testing-team] A full audit of SPARC arch by our static binary analysis tool

Anthony DeRobertis anthony at derobert.net
Sat Aug 6 12:29:42 UTC 2005

Jake Appelbaum wrote:

> We prefer to work with the team leaders of the Debian project at this
> time. We don't want to work against the wishes of the team leaders, even
> though we feel like it could be useful to them.

This generally isn't how Debian works. Our team leaders are all
volunteers, and are all generally pretty short on free time (at least,
this is what I gather from reading various Debian lists; I don't pretend
to speak for any of them). I suggest that if you mail debian-devel you
might be able to find some Debian developers willing to work with you.

However, if you really want to ask official permission to do this ---
which there really isn't any need, you're just finding bugs, a job that
is always welcome (see http://www.debian.org/devel/join/ for an official
statment that "testing packages, as well as reporting and fixing bugs,
is a great help to us"). --- the right guy to contact is the Project
Leader, Branden Robinson, at <leader at debian.org>.

> Specifically, we need to build all of the SPARC architecture with
> debugging symbols to get the most useful information. Currently we're
> only offering this to the Debian project and only for SPARC.

I'd suggest doing it on the existing builds on SPARC, and only
rebuilding when you need to -- e.g., when you find something.