[Secure-testing-team] Re: Moving forward with the 2.4.27 and 2.6.8 kernels

Horms horms at debian.org
Tue Aug 16 11:59:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 03:31:21PM +0900, Horms wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is my proposal for the immediate future of 2.4.27 and 2.6.8.
> I'm pretty comforatble with the shape of both of them in SVN,
> and its probably a good time to think about some releases -
> security bugs keep coming in all the time, but I really think
> we have to draw a line in the sand and make a release.
>
> To get this ball rolling I plan to release kernel-source-2.4.27
> 2.4.27-11 and kernel-image-2.4.27-i386 2.4.27-11 into unstable tomorrow.
> This is tagged in SVN, and I have made the packages available at
> http://packages.vergenet.net/pending/ (i386 still building, will
> be available soon). I will upload to unstable tomorrow if there
> are no objections.  Other architecture maintainers, now would be a good
> time to either kick of a build, of file a bug with the ftp maintainers
> to have your arch's 2.4.27 kernel removed from Sid. This has already
> been done for powerpc.

The 2.4.27-11 i386 packages are now available.

> On the topic of Sid, I think we need to keep 2.4.27 there for now.
> I've been told that the s390 installer works it, and its needed
> for some m68k flavours (mac users who want a working keyboard IRRC).
> In any case Christoph Hellwig pointed out that as long as its
> just a matter of recompiling the sarge kernel, its not much of a bother.
>
> So for now, the most up to date 2.4.27 is going to be in Sid, and sarge
> updates can be cherry-picked from there. And as I mentioned above,
> arches whose upstream has abandoned 2.4 (like powerpc) should be removed
> from Sid.
>
> 2.6.8 will be removed from Sid shortly, so it might be appropriate
> to use volatile to make new 2.6.8 kernels available. But I'd rather
> just use volatile for 2.6.12, which seems more in the spirit of
> volatile, and just make proposed-updates and proposed-secrity-updates
> for 2.6.8. Anyone with input on what queues to use, please, lets
> discuss that here.
>
> Back to releases. After 2.4.27-11 is out, which should be very soon,
> I would like to take what we have in SVN for both 2.6.8 and 2.4.27,
> strip out all the non-security patches since Sarge (2.6.8-16 and
> 2.4.27-10) and make a security release. When I say strip out, I
> mean comment out the changelog line and the patch entry in the
> series file. Thats all. There doesn't seem any reason to hide
> other changes that have been included in SVN. Nor any reason
> not to include the patches in the release - even if they aren't applied.
> In short, this should make producing a security release a simple matter
> of reading the changelog, adding a dozen or so # characters,
> tagging and building.

I have started a security branch in branches/dist/sarge-security.
Feel free to move this if it is the wong place.

In there I have seeded i386, powerpc and source for 2.6.8 (-16sarge1).
I have made built source packages and made them available
in http://packages.vergenet.net/pending/ Please review and check
arch builds. I haven't taged yet, that can wait until tomorrow
(I'm really tired and need to go home).

I am currently building i386 and powerpc. I will let you know how
this goes.

I will also try and get 2.4.27-10sarge1 happening tomorrow.

--
Horms