[Secure-testing-team] DTSA advisory format

Joey Hess joeyh at debian.org
Sun Aug 28 17:28:15 UTC 2005

Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Hi,
> while adapting dtsa.py to the new DTSA format template from Joey
> I stumbled upon some things I'd like to discuss/change:
>
> - Problem-Type should be renamed to "Problem Scope" or "Vulnerability
>   Scope". OTOH it might be dropped completely, it's hard to decide
>   in several cases (e.g. when s/o processes some file that triggers
>   a vulnerability the attack vector may very well be remote, if this
>   s/o receives the file by mail) and may give a false sense of security.

I only included that since it's in DSAs. OTOH, I think it's easy to make
the judgement call about whether the vulnerability is a remote hole in a
standard setups or not.

> - The upgrade recommendation shouldn't differentiate between different
>   severity formulations. Everything issues as a DTSA should be important
>   enough (above reasons apply as well)

Agreed, that was a silly think for me to put in.

> - Obviously: does not track..: stable (Sarge instead of Woody), oldstable
>   should be mentioned as well

Yes.

> - The install recommendation uses apt-get install foo. So we'd need to
>   specify a list of all binary names here to properly install the update.
>   Shouldn't we just recommend dist-upgrade instead? (If people use the
>   testing security apt repo they don't have to cherry pick fixes)

I've been editing that to use apt-get upgrade for DTSAs that include
more than one binary package. But IMHO dist-upgrade should be unnecessary,
we won't be adding/removing packages. Hopefully.

--
see shy jo