[Secure-testing-team] Guidelines for testing security fixes

Joey Hess joeyh at debian.org
Mon Aug 29 16:44:13 UTC 2005

Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Quoting secure-testing.debian.net:
> 1. Only upload changes that have already been made in unstable and are
> blocked by reaching testing by some other issues. This is both to keep
> things in sync once the new version from unstable reaches testing, and
> to avoid breaking secure-testing too badly with fixes that have not been
> tested first in unstable.
>
> Rebuilding packages from sid into testing that are stuck by a larger
> transition does not work if the maintainer has fixed a vulnerability
> by upgrading to a major new upstream version. E.g. kate:
> testing has 3.3.2 and the sid fix is kdebase 3.4.1. In cases like
> this we should better prepare patched packages for 3.3 (in the
> case of KDE it's rather simple as there are official upstream
> patches for this version). As long as the packages in sid are fixed
> as well, things don't become out of sync here and official upstream
> patches should normally be tested sufficiently.
>
> Comments?

Right. On the other hand patching 3.3 before unstable has any fix for
the problem could cause issues once unstable got a new version (possibly
w/o the fix) and is the situation that guideline is intended to prevent.
Backporting fixes is of course OK.

Perhaps s/changes/fixes/ on the first line would clarify it.

--
see shy jo