[Secure-testing-team] Debian Security Analyzer (debsecan)

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Wed Dec 14 20:02:48 UTC 2005

* Joey Hess:

> Very nice. You plan to upload the deb soon?

First I want to make sure that the data format is adequate.  I'll know
a couple of days.

> It might be good to either move at least the files debsecan uses to a
> debian.org machine, or add a debian.net address for it, so that the url
> it downloads from is more under debian's control.

I'm fine with a delegation from debian.org or debian.net (or a CNAME,
if delegation is impossible), but a hard-coded A RR is not acceptable.
IIRC, the debian.org hostmaster is pretty unresponsive -- and pulling
the A record might be necessary if the service becomes too popular.

We could distribute the files over the secure-testing mirrors, though.
(Unfortunately, generating them requires 500+ MB for the package file
mirror, and quite a few CPU cycles.  It's not a straight translation
of the data/*/list files, I'm afraid.)

> Could it also list unfixed vulnerabilities?

Ah, this was a typo on the server side.  Should be back to normal
again.

I've implemented the opposite, so that you can say something like
this:

  # apt-get install $(debsecan --suite sid --format packages --only-fixed)

And you'll download only new versions of those packages which have
security fixes.

This should also work for the other suites, but all this version
tracking is a bit scary.  (BTW, --only-fixed is the main reason why
the package file mirror is needed.)