[Secure-testing-team] "Improving Security in Debian" Paper for Debconf5

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña jfs at debian.org
Fri Mar 4 18:48:53 UTC 2005

Hi guys,

Even though I'm not yet sure if I'll be able to attend, I have submitted a
paper to Debconf5 related to security work at Debian. Oriented towards
helping maintainers keep their packages in shape (security-speaking),
showing some data of how the security team and the security-audit team are
working out and suggesting things that should be improved.

It would be great if other members of the Security Team and the Debian
Security Team could contribute to the paper and help with the conference
(again, I'm not sure if I will attend)

I believe that having a paper outline the current status of security
support in Debian and what things need to be improved both in the Debian
operating system and the project to improve it would be a big eye-opener to
some of the issues the Security Team is having. Also, providing (in a
workshop) some basic knowledge so that maintainers can security-audit their
packages would save a lot of issues in the long term.

This is the abstract I have proposed:

Improving Debian Security
-------------------------
¿How can we improve the security of the Debian distribution to improve it
both to protect the Debian project and our end users?

This presentation will try to analyse what are the major concerns related
to the security in the Debian operating system, including the current trend
of vulnerabilities and time to fix (an update of the one presented in
Debconf3), a look on the work conducted by the Debian Security and Security
Audit teams and what steps can maintainers, release managers and end-users
take in order to help keep the distribution secure. The analysis will
include a brief presentation of the impact of several security-enhancing
technologies (SElinux, PaX, SPP..) on the distribution and what needs to be
changed in order to provide these for end users.

The presentation will also try to feed some discussion including proposals
related to the overall management of software quality (and how this affects
the security of the released distribution) as well as to what additional
work can be conducted in order for the project to provide a distibution
with an enterprise-level of security that could be, at some point, Common
Criteria certified for government use.

Does anyone want to help out with this?

Regards

Javier