[Secure-testing-team] Long, long, long tag

Norbert Crettol norbert.crettol at idiap.ch
Wed Sep 14 07:33:09 UTC 2005

Hi.

First thank you for your great job and for this mailing-list.

I've just a remark : the tag prepended to the message
subject is far too long. Including the DTSA numter it
is near 40 chars long. When one looks at his filtered
mailbox, it cannot see the most significative and
informative part : which package and what is the problem.
In the middle of hundreds of email messages, it is
important to get the information in an eye blink. "Do I
have to take action immediately or will I come back on
it later ?" How can I decide when I see :
[secure-testing-announce] [DTSA-14-1] New mozilla pa...
[secure-testing-announce] [DTSA-15-1] New php4 packa...

You could shorten the tag to [secure-testing] or
[SecureTesting] (one less ;-) or even [TestingSec]. The
tag is used mainly for filtering by most users, I suppose.
They don't need a full novel to understand where the message
comes from.

Best regards

Norbert
INSTITUT DALLE MOLLE D'INTELLIGENCE ARTIFICIELLE PERCEPTIVE
   . __    . ___  __    | Norbert Crettol
 / /   / / /--/ /--     | Tel:++41-27-721.77.25
/ /__.' / /  / /        | Fax:++41-27-721.77.12
                        | email : norbert.crettol at idiap.ch
Rue du Simplon 4-CP 592 |
CH-1920 Martigny        | http://www.idiap.ch