[Secure-testing-team] Oldenburg 2nd meeting summary

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña jfs at computer.org
Sat Sep 24 14:06:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 07:11:25AM -0400, Micah Anderson wrote:
> What follows are notes of the second testing-security meeting held at
> Oldenburg September 23, 2005 with joeyh, micah, jmm, lamont, aba and
> christoph in attendance:
(..)

> . Publishing the testing-security's severity levels
> 	We discussed the severity levels that we use in our tracking,
> 	and Micah agreed to dig out the discussions from the mailing list and
> 	compile them all together so we can agree on them and make them documented.
> 	low - not bad XSS issues
> 	medium - things that are local security
> 	high - remote holes/DoS (would rather terminate the service
> 	       rather than run a insecure version)

I rather we had this homogeneous between teams and, moreover, was rather
detailed so that people can have expectations on what will be fixed first.
I mentioned CVSS previously, but this (good) references might come in handy:

- Red Hat's Security Classification:
http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/rhel4/SecurityClassification.pdf
- Gentoo Linux Vulnerability Treatment Policy
http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/vulnerability-policy.xml

The Red Hat paper (which is certainly worth reading) has references to
a number of other classifications.

One thing I've been asking to the security team for some time is to add
these ratings in their DSAs so that people can priorise the investigation of
those based on that rating if they don't have a metric of their own. I hope
the security testing team does with DTSAs also.

Regards

Javier