[Secure-testing-team] debsecan announcement

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Thu Jan 19 14:36:13 UTC 2006

* Moritz Muehlenhoff:

> Before bringing this to a wider audience more false positives and
> non-issues should be weeded out (or at least document it very
> clearly that most are theoretical issues, that do not affect your
> system's security in a real-world situation, e.g. by setting the
> display default to >= medium).

This approach has a certain "because it's devastating to my case"
aspect.  I don't really like pampering over these issues for PR
reasons.  If DDs can't be bothered to fix minor security issues, we
should be open about it.

> E.g. the first four entries in the list of "vulnerabilities w/o
> updates" for my notebook are all more or less moot:

Sure, I should add an urgency filter.  But this is not a real
substitute for fixing bugs.