[Secure-testing-team] Assigning unique identifiers (CVE?)

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Mon Mar 6 22:42:10 UTC 2006

We have a growing list of issues which have not yet received a proper
unique identifier (this is related to Debian bug #352965).  Addressing
a few shortcomings in the current database scheme would be easier if I
had a unique identifier for *every* issue.

There are several approaches:

  * Use the description (in [brackets]) as the unqiue identifier.  The
    downside is that we still won't have really stable identifiers for
    non-CVE issues.

  * Assign Debian Vulnerability Names (DVNs) for issues which are too
    minor/obscure for CVE, based on a simple scheme which still needs
    to be developed.

  * Get MITRE to train some more Debian people on CVE assignment, and
    use CVEs exclusively.

  * Get rid of that Subversion crap and use a real database as master
    source (just kidding).

What do you think?  Personally, I tend towards DVNs.