[Secure-testing-team] CAN-2006-1059 [jerry@samba.org: [SECURITY] Samba 3.0.21-3.0.21c: Exposure of machine account credentials in winbindd log files]

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Fri Mar 31 04:39:38 UTC 2006

Hey folks,

samba 3.0.22 has been released to fix a security hole in samba versions
3.0.21-3.0.21c, CAN-2006-1059, which on Debian systems allows members of the
adm group to read the domain member server's password from
/var/log/samba/log.winbindd, a privilege escalation with limited scope.  I'm
preparing an upload of samba 3.0.22 to unstable, which will be uploaded just
as soon as the build finishes here. :)  I've confirmed that this patch is
not applicable to samba 3.0.14a, so sarge is not vulnerable.

The original upstream announcement is included below.

Cheers,
vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/

----- Forwarded message from "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> -----