[Secure-testing-team] security support after lenny release

Stefan Fritsch sf at sfritsch.de
Sat Oct 13 14:09:14 UTC 2007

Hi,

WRT the paragraph I added to the bits mail. Directly after etch's
release, security support of lenny didn't work.

For this to not happen again, we would need

- working buildds. I talked with zobel about this. Hopefully
wannabuild/sbuild/whatever will be changed to use stable+testing
instead of code names. In the current state, the buildd chroots must
be manually recreated after a stable release. After etch release it
took three weeks to have all buildds working again.

- a way to copy releases from stable-security to testing-security
(#446394), since many packages will be blocked from migration.

If we don't get these two, we should drop security support for testing
for 2 months after a stable release. This might even make sense in
any case, since there is nearly no advantage in running testing so
shortly after a stable release.

This is not really a current problem, but since many people complained
about the bad security support of lenny after etch's release, I think
it would be good to mention it in the announcement mail.

Cheers,
Stefan