[Secure-testing-team] sql-ledger in testing

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Mon Oct 22 22:41:46 UTC 2007

Thijs Kinkhors wrote:
 >I'd like to see some real-world cases where this could be exploited
before we
 > start to remove things for which no adequate substitute is packaged yet.

I don't think people understand what the danger is.  Basically an
accounting application is something which tracks, manages, and often
even provides access to your company's money.  This is not monopoly
money; it is the real thing.

With access to an accounting application, an individual can create false
invoices and print false checks in order to embezzle money from an
organization.  In an ideal environment, these things can be tracked and
audited, so you have a great deal of confidence that you know who
printed every check, you know who entered every invoice, etc.  However,
if the security of the system is compromised, you have the ability to
tamper with these audit trails, allowing an individual to effectively
cover up embezzlement activities.  While this is somewhat easier where
petty cash is concerned (as there is no independent record beyond
internal voucher slips), it is not entirely out of the question with
checking accounts and the like.

In short such security issues allow people to steal your money.  Ths is
not unheard of in small to midsize businesses which is usually why
either owners do most of the bookkeeping themselves or you have a strict
separation of duties.  In short no business of any size can afford to
trust the bookkeepers in the way you suggest.

Part of the problem is that we are not talking about a typical IT
security scenario here.  These sorts of attacks are generally done by
people who know what they are looking for, and are using it to hide
evidence of theft.  It is also a big deal when you have to know that
your books are accurage (for example during a tax audit or due to
Sarbanes-Oxley, or equivalent,  compliance requirements).

As I said in my previous email, you should make your decisions based on
facts.  If the software is not maintained regarding security, it is your
decision whether to distribute it or not.  But you should be aware of
the real-world risks of doing so:

1)  SQL injection issues in SQL-Ledger are numerous, obvious, and easy
to exploit to alter audit trails, change financial records, or the
like.  We, in the LedgerSMB project, are *still* finding these several
months after we thought we converted everything to parameterized forms

2)  SQL-Ledger only pretends to have a real authorization framework.
THe "Access Control" section actually merely customizes the menu.  It
does not provide any effective security.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers