[Secure-testing-team] Security advisory for docvert's CVE-2008-5147 ?

Nico Golde debian-secure-testing+ml at ngolde.de
Mon Dec 1 09:55:33 UTC 2008

Hi,
* Francois Marier <francois at debian.org> [2008-12-01 09:34]:
> I noticed a (fairly recent CVE) against one of my packages (docvert):
>
>   http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-5147
>
> I'm not exactly sure how one would exploit this given that the affected script
> literally consists of:
>
>   cat /var/www/docvert/doc/sample/sample-document.doc | /var/www/docvert/core/lib/pyodconverter/pyodconverter2.py --stream > /tmp/outer.odt

This is about an attacker linking /some/important/file to /tmp/out.odt.

> (see http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/docvert.git;a=blob;f=core/lib/pyodconverter/test-pipe-to-pyodconverter.org.sh;hb=master)
>
> I was wondering if you think it's worth issuing a security advisory for.

No it's not. We marked this is unimportant in the security
tracker as this is only an unused test script:
http://security-tracker.debian.net/tracker/CVE-2008-5147

> I will remove that (unused) script from the next upload of the package.

Ok that's fine. Please ping us in this case with the version
so we can mark it as fixed in the security tracker.

Cheers
Nico
--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion at jabber.ccc.de - GPG: 0x73647CFF