[Secure-testing-team] need clarification on removed-packages

Moritz Muehlenhoff jmm at inutil.org
Sat Sep 12 15:22:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 02:51:11PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> my interpretation of removed-packages is that it is for packages that
> are not in any of the supported releases.  i.e. the file says, 'This
> file lists packages which are no longer present in the Debian
> archive...,' which to me says that the package should not be currently
> in any supported release.  however, some of the packages listed there
> are still present in etch and lenny.  is that a mistake?
>
> is that file for unstable removals or complete removals?

AFAICT the only purpose of data/removed-packages is to mark all the
packages, which have been removed from all suites, since otherwise
the packages would show up on
http://idssi.enyo.de/tracker/data/unknown-packages
(which is useful to spot typos in source package names)

So, yes, an addition to data/removed-packages is only needed if the
package is no longer present in oldstable. It would be nice if that
is added to the introductory document if it's not present yet.

Cheers,
        Moritz