[Secure-testing-team] For discussion: security support strategy for the wheezy kernel

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 21:28:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 19:12:48 +0100, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
> Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com> schrieb:
> > Hi,
>
> > So, my proposal in a nutshell is to only upload upstream 2.6.32 point
> > releases to wheezy/sid for the next 12-18 months.  At that time,
> > reevaluate and determine what the next longterm cadence kernel will be,
> > and then once that is reasonable stabilized in experimental, finally
> > upload it to unstable for the final stages of wheezy development
> > (perhaps a few months before the freeze).
>
> No way. The idea of unstable is to get the current upstream code in
> shape and that won't be achieved with staying with an old kernel.

I'm not sure if there's a precise definition of unstable other than
the statement at [0], but it seems to be whatever teams make of it.
It's perfectly ok to upload only stable versions (if that's what the
team wants to do), and its perfectly ok to upload the most unstable
thing ever, but then the consequences of that have to be dealt with.  I
guess what I'm saying is that each team can decide specifically how
they want to use unstable, so the kernel team can deviate from the
status quo if they decide to; that is if I can make a sufficiently
convincing argument.

Also, my suggestion does involve eventually moving to a newer kernel in
the wheezy development cycle; just a while from now, rather than
rushing in to things.

> Whatever the technical solution to testing-security kernel might be,
> it needs to be based on following the upstream kernel development.

2.6.32.x is in fact an upstream kernel currently being developed ;)

Best wishes,
Mike

[0] http://www.debian.org/releases/unstable/