[Secure-testing-team] Disabling autorun by default

Nico Golde debian-secure-testing+ml at ngolde.de
Mon Feb 14 17:24:31 UTC 2011

Hi,
* Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com> [2011-02-14 13:03]:
> Just curious whether we should follow Microsoft's [0] and Ubuntu's [1]
> lead and make it a policy to disable desktop autorun options by default.
> Note that this was one of the flaws that allowed stuxnet to propagate to
> network isolated machines.
>
> So far, I've only checked xfce, and it has autorun enabled by default.
> If there is consensus that this would be a good thing, then I'll start
> submitting bugs.

Would be a good thing, definitely.

> Not sure if it would be worth pushing this in a point
> update for the stable releases also?

Doesn't require DSAs and should've happened before the release. This is
something for the next point update imho.

Cheers
Nico
P.S. Highly recommended kind of related talk:
http://www.shmoocon.org/speakers#usbautorun
--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion at jabber.ccc.de - GPG: 0xA0A0AAAA