[DSE-User] Upgrade difficulties

Mantaray mantaray_1 at cox.net
Mon Jan 11 21:15:08 UTC 2010

Mantaray wrote:
> Update:
>
> I am beginning to wonder if this list has any active members, but in
> case it does (and anyone is interested), I have made some progress with
> my problem.
>
> First, #2 and #3 (below) resulted from labeling differences in the new
> policy.  I have resolved these difficulties and the new policy is
> working fine.
>
> Secondly, I have made some progress towards understanding #1.  My web
> browser now accesses the internet more indirectly, using tcp_socket and
> udp_socket permissions, so it is not constrained by node or netif
> constraints.  It seems, however, that these constraints should still
> have stopped whatever process was attempting to use the netif and node
> permissions; and I am wondering why this is not the case.  If anyone is
> knowledgeable enough to help me to understand this, and has the time, I
> would still appreciate a reply.  So far the best public information I
> have been able to find regarding object classes and permissions has come
> from the book "SELinux by Example" (written by Frank Mayer, Karl
> MacMillan, and David Caplan) and the SELinux Project Wiki
> (http://selinuxproject.org/page/ObjectClassesPerms).  As stated on the
> wiki: "The permission descriptions are only for providing a general idea
> of the purposes of the permissions; a permission may mediate many
> operations."  Since I am not a 'Linux-guru', it would be a major
> undertaking for me if I needed to wade through the source of the policy
> compiler and/or the Linux Kernel to get the information, and I would
> like to understand how this works and why/how the constraints can be
> bypassed.
>
> -Ken-
>

> Mantaray wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using Debian since the Etch release, and I have been using
>> a 2007 SELinux policy with some adaptations (I compile my own policy)
>> from December 2007 to the present.  I am getting ready to use Debian
>> 6, so I have a copy running on my test drive.  My policy is broken on
>> Debian 6.
>>
>> Explanation of "broken":
>> 1)  I have node-based restrictions on internet access for two of my
>> user accounts (I have defined my own users with their own role and
>> type).  One of these is for an rdc connection to a company server
>> (used on a "work" user account), which is restricted to one ip
>> address; and another is for my young son, to keep him limited to his
>> "pbs kids" site.  This has been accomplished by defining nodes, and
>> using constraints relating to the node names and the user role.  These
>> have consistently worked with every upgrade until now.  When I compile
>> my policy with the current "testing" distribution, these restrictions
>> no longer take effect, and the web browser can access any site from
>> any account.
>>
>> 2)  When the restrictions no longer took effect, I decided to upgrade
> [...]

If anyone is interested:  The kernel permission checks have changed, and
the solution is "to use secmark or to use the newer ingress/egress
checks, but note that using either requires additional configuration
(iptables for secmark, labeled networking for ingress/egress)." (Stephen
Smalley, National Security Agency)

-Ken-