[DSE-User] security_bounded_transition denied for apt-daily.timer

Gerald Turner gturner at unzane.com
Wed Aug 16 19:12:36 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jun 25 2017, Gerald Turner wrote:
> Now I've noticed several timers (apt-daily.timer,
> apt-daily-upgrade.service, and painintheapt-daily.timer) also cause
> similar audit messages every time their services are executed:
>
>   audit: type=1401 audit(1498417202.987:9091):
>     op=security_bounded_transition seresult=denied
>     oldcontext=system_u:system_r:initrc_t:s0
>     newcontext=system_u:system_r:dpkg_t:s0

FWIW I seem to have solved my problem by cluelessly running:

  # semanage fcontext -a -t dpkg_exec_t /usr/sbin/painintheapt
  # restorecon /usr/sbin/painintheapt

I probably conflated the three aforementioned timers when the problem
was really limited to just painintheapt.

I'd appreciate any feedback as to whether there's any better type to use
than dpkg_exec_t, as I imagine dpkg_exec_t has a great number of
privileges and not suitable for a Python script, running as root,
connecting to XMPP!

--
Gerald Turner <gturner at unzane.com>        Encrypted mail preferred!