[Shootout-list] New benchmark?

Greg Buchholz sleepingsquirrel@member.fsf.org
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:00:10 -0800 (PST)

--- William Douglas Neumann <wdnx@unm.edu> wrote:

> This is especially reinforced by the default CRAPS settings that
> count nothing but speed (personally I like a 3/2/1
> speed/memory/LOC setting, but that's just me... I also think the
> default weight for each test should be set to 1 instead of the
> current arbitrary hodgepodge, but again that might just be me).

  Just as a reference point, here's the last CRAPS scoring I did
(speed/memory/LOC = 0.2/0.01/0.8 along with a different arbitrary
hodgepodge of weightings)...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?H36E52D0A

which came up with the following ranking...

Haskell GHC
Perl
Ruby
C Intel
Python
OCaml

  But "C" still came ahead of languages like Python and OCaml, so
we've still got more work to do ;-)

> Anyway, it would be nice to also see a sort of idiomatic
> shootout...
[snip]
> ...that's not quite down with the Shootout's
> mission, but I'd still like to see it.

   Is there another mission, besides the one on the front page?

   "Our goals are to learn about new programming languages,
compare them in various (possibly meaningless) ways and, most
importantly, have some fun!"

Greg Buchholz