[Shootout-list] Benchmark length (LOC)

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:58:22 -0800 (PST)

>   Is there any guidelines for how many lines of code would be too
> long.  What if we had a minimal ray tracer of, say, 75 lines in
> one of the high level languages?  What would be a good cutoff?
> Browsing around I noticed that the word frequency test for MLton
> was 380 lines long.  And 150 wasn't unusual for some of the
> others.

Do you mean, guidelines for the approximate size we expect for a new
benchmark program we'd add to the shootout? Are you asking what would
be too big a benchmark to add?

Or do you mean, guidelines for existing benchmarks? Are you suggesting
some programs should be removed because they rewrite too much stuff?