[Shootout-list] Many tests cheat

skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
04 Nov 2004 02:06:25 +1100

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 23:12, Bengt Kleberg wrote:

> the producer/consumer test mandates pre-emptive threads. that is _not_
> the same as pthreads, afaik. last time i looked pthreads meant
> posix-threads.

Sure, but I'm just using that as an example -- there isn't much
choice for portable Unix. You can make 'p' mean pre-emptive
by abstraction.. :)

> personally i think pre-emptive threads are a good idea. they are easy to
> put into the test design as a the-same-thing, if pre-emptive threads are
> what is wanted.

Processes are even easier .. because they can be started
by the shootout instead of the programmer. But wouldn't the
OS overhead swamp anything the program was doing?

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia