[Shootout-list] Threads and Threads-Flow Proposal

Kevin Carson kevincarson@shaw.ca
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:36:33 -0700

The reference supplied http://www.sics.se/~joe/ericsson/du98024.html helps
to prove my point.

Looking at the 200 to 1000 thread results (for the OSes that can support
1000 and aren't swapping) we see that a 5x change in thread count changed
ratio of Erlang to Java by only ~10-20%.  All the while, Erlang maintained a
big ratio (4x-7x) across the environments in efficiency.

The ideal is to have as many comparisons possible.  Towards this, my
suggestion was that reducing threads and increasing repetitions would help
this goal while not skewing the relative performance among the languages.
The reference shows that it won't stop Erlang from showing its superiority
over Java.

I doubt that my proposal would prevent the general clustering around thread
model suggested in another post.  I don't have proof of this but thats the
whole point of the The Shootout comparison; my intent to help have more
comparisons to make.

Kevin