[Shootout-list] Stuff

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:14:41 +0200

Jon Harrop wrote:
...deleted
> Regarding some other discussions I've read about in the archives. I think it
> is vitally important to allow people to use common libraries (and to not
> count the library as submitted code). For example, lots of scientific

this is a good idea, but awaits the rules for what to allow, and what to
disallow.
at one extreme we would have all languages (with a ffi) calling a
purpose built c program to be as fast as possible.

> Reading the March archive I've come up with a few more ideas for benchmarks:

...deleted many fine examples

presumably this is in faq, but i think i saw a ''no more than 100-lines
of code'' soft limit on the benchmark programs on the list.
would not these programs make a lot of languages exceed this limit?

> On Friday 22 April 2005 00:57, Brent Fulgham wrote:
>
>>I suppose we could set it up so that it expects to
>>find three files for each solution:
>>
>>1.  The main implementation
>>2.  A Lexer
>>3.  A yacc/bison rule set.
>>
>>These files would then be built by the respective
>>programs for that language implementation.

presumably this too is in the faq, but i think i saw a ''only one file
per benchmark'' rule on the list.
would not these 3 files exceed this limit?

> I like this, provided you're talking about the lex and yacc sources (.mll
> and .mly) and not the compiled ".ml", which would be huge! :-)

given that the file limit problem is none existent, i wonder if the .ml
creation is counted towards the run time of the benchmark? or towards
the compile time? and should it matter? (yes, it is in the faq, i know.
i will look there).

bengt