[Shootout-list] Stuff

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:42:05 -0700 (PDT)

> > change your programs ''to make sure a wide range of languages would
> > complete the test''.
>
> But that's exactly what I don't want to do! :-)

The mystery is why you "don't want to do" it on a  website that's
always been about including a wild range of languages - GAWK to
Haskell.

> Knowing which languages cannot be used to solve practically important
> sets of problems is very valuable information. I don't see any
benefit
> in removing this information from the shootout.
>
> Indeed, such information is already present in the shootout as many
> languages have yet to implement several problems. OCaml cannot
> implement nsieve on 32-bit, for example.

Is it possible that your "practically important sets of problems" are
much less "practically important" to programmers working in other
domains?

Obviously, absence of implementation is not evidence that an
implementation is even difficult, let alone impossible.

Perspective matters - nsieve has working implementations in ~22
different language implementations. If there's a problem then it isn't
that nsieve is so complicated and demanding that it excludes many
languages.

(The obvious problem benchmark is pidigits because it requires
arbitrary precision arithmetic.)