[Shootout-list] Stuff (wide range of languages, external libraries)

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:28:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Brent Fulgham <bfulg@pacbell.net> wrote:

> --- Isaac Gouy <igouy2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I almost agree with Pascal Obry that "the speed
> > of a method dynamic-binding is quite interesting"
> > - almost.
> >
> > The 'interesting' thing is the speed of
> > dynamic-binding relative to static-binding in the
> > language you're using.
>
> So let's revise the tests to account for this.
> Perhaps we need two object invocation tests so
> that the performance can be compared.

spectral-norm (alpha) C# Mono #2 uses virtual methods, and
spectral-norm (alpha) C# Mono doesn't - the performance can be
compared.

> I've been thinking about the proposal to drop this
> test, and I think we should keep it (or at least
> something like it).  The fact that C or ML may
> not be able to implement this test should just
> mean that it is not part of the CRAPS score (or
> default to zero).

There are very few benchmarks that have really been dropped, most
retire here:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/old/index.php?sort=fullcpu