Fwd: Re: [Shootout-list] Science-related benchmarks (speedoptimisation)

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:29:29 +0100

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 14:09, Dave wrote:
> I completely disagree.. It is common and widespread to suit compiler
> switches to the job at hand, or even to the stage of development (debug vs.
> 'gold' code for example) of the software. That's what the switches are
> intended for. It's the job of the compiler implementers to make sure it
> compiles the software to function in the same way given the same input with
> different switches.

IIRC, the -O3 switch is allowed to alter the output of the program. It
certainly does here. Thus, it is used by some people and not by others.

I've noticed that the salesman benchmark I'm writing only gets the answer
right with -O2 and gets it wrong with -O3, so it will be important there.

Objective CAML for Scientists