[Shootout-list] Stuff (wide range of languages, external libraries)

Robert Seeger Robert Seeger <rhseeger@gmail.com>
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:49:19 -0400

On 4/27/05, Bengt Kleberg <bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com> wrote:
> Robert Seeger wrote:
> > For example, when working with Tcl, it very common to use external
> > libraries written in C. In fact, most extentions for Tcl are written
> > in C, since the language is designed to be easily extended with it. If
> > you're not going to allow external libraries/resources as they are
> > commonly used with the language, than they shouldn't be allowed at
> > all.
>=20
> very difficult question this. i see your point, but consider this:
> in erlang the normal way is to do the system in pure erlang first. if it
> is too slow, then use the ffi to move the slowest parts to c. normally
> only very few parts of a system is implemented in c.
> but if this is a benchmark in the shootout, then all erlang programs
> would be too slow and use the ffi to c.

Indeed, the same thing is generally true of Tcl. I'll make the
assumption that, much like Tcl, it's rarely the case that something
needs to be converted to C for speed, since the language is fast
enough. However, in those rare cases where you do need the speed
boost, the language is designed to be VERY easy to move specific parts
to C.

Personally, I'm a proponent of "no external libraries". If it comes
with the language dist, then it can be used. If not, then it can't. I
think it's worth stating in the FAQ which language dist type will be
used across the board... core, batteries included, etc...

Rob Seeger