[Shootout-list] Ray tracer (new benchmark)

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:22:59 +0200

Jon Harrop wrote:
...deleted
> I'd rather scrap the LOC limit and just see how quickly a benchmark gets
> ported to other languages. Despite its size, the nbody benchmark has been

the good thing with loc is that it is possible to know that a benchmark
is acceptable in advance. the ''quickly ported'' rule is an after the
fact rule. ie, say that we have the following:
''if atleast 15 other languages have implemented the benchmark within 1
month, then it is accepted''.
it is just as measurable as loc, but we will not know if a benchmark is
acceptable until after one month. and that might mean that fewer people
write the benchmark in another language since it is not sure to be
accepted. which makes it less likely to be accepted.

this does not make the rule impossible, but i think it should be taken
into consideration.

> Given that Isaac's rule conflicts with Brent's rule, I'd go with Brent's:
>
> Provide implementations in:
> 1)  An interpreted langauge, a JIT language, and
>     a compiled language.  This shows the range of
>     performance we can expect (and helps to avoid
>     setting too low a value of 'N' for compiled
>     languages, or too high a value for interpreted
>     languages.

it is unclear here if the rule allows one and the same language to cover
all three examples. if it is only a question of performance, then a
single langugage is ok.

if my hope for a more flexible 'n' can come through then (1) is
unneccessary. we will have an autoselected 'n'.

> 2)  An Algol-variant (such as Pascal, Java, or C++),
>     a lisp-variant (such as Scheme or Common Lisp),
>     and an ML-variant (such as Objective CAML or
>     SML).
>
> Personally, I'd replace (2) with a non-functional (Algol variant) and a
> functional language (Lisp or ML derived).

i am ok with both (2) and your version.
what does other readers of this list think?

finally i notice that the faq only says ''give some background
information''. does it seem neccessary to mention that a language
neutral explanatin is needed? or does the proposed
''if atleast 15 other languages have implemneted the bacnhmark within 1
month, then it is accepted''
rule handle this? (ie, if i do not give such a description, there will
not be enough other implementations)

bengt