[Shootout-list] Stuff (wide range of languages, external libraries)

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:45:26 +0200

Robert Seeger wrote:
> Yes and no. I disagree with using libraries written in the core
> language, unless it's open to all easily available instances of such
> libraries. Is it really acceptable to ask the maintainers of the tests
> to install any given libraries that a test implementation uses? My
> impression was that it wasn't considered acceptable, and only things
> with an easily available Debian Package were acceptable.
>
> If that's correct, then my vote is to not allow any external libraries.
> If the core language links it, then sure. I don't like the idea of
> saying "External libraries are allowed, but only the ones that person X
> decides to allow".

the more i read
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list/2005-March/001167.html
the less i am sure i understand it.

i think it says the following for ''normal'' shootout solutions:

1 useing only that which is available in the languages debian package is ok.
2 useing a library that is not in the languages debian package, but is
written in the language itself, is ok.

other solutions are judged to be "Interesting Alternative"

on one hand it would be a good idea to stick to the languages debian
package. one thing, and one thing only, to handle.
on the other hand i do not like to penalise a language that has a small
core, and a very extensive (and simple to use) set of extra libraries
(even if they are in another language). such a setup would make me think
positive thoughts about a language.

i can not deceide.

bengt