[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
29 Apr 2005 07:52:00 +1000

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 06:31, Sebastien Loisel wrote:
> > The only question I have is, should this replace
> > something, or is it unique and necessary in its own
> > right?  And why?
>
> Been thinking about that myself. If you could wave your magic wand
> again, it would help.
>
> If there's one thing that's clear to me, it's that having things like
> ray tracers, n-body and LU decomposition is more interesting than
> method call. But that's just me. So I'd like to find a way to make
> sure we can accept these tests.

Divide the tests into categories?

Recursion -- Tak, Ackermann ..
  These test focus on optimisation of heavily recusive functions

Numerical -- LU Decomp, ray trace, matrix, determinant
  These test focus on general floating point performance

Data Structure -- hash
  These tests focus on performance of simple generic data structures

Features -- EH, thread, Microthread, plugins, eval, regexps
  These tests determine how language provides certain features.
  The result is "Can't", "Native", "Howto"

  "Howto" is a description such as:
  C: Eval: use setenv() to bind variables and call system()
  function to compile and execute the code.

  C:regexp: use flex tool
  C:regexp: use PCRE binding

Scripting -- sumcol ..
  These tests include compile and run time and focus on
  quick and dirty programs, but they may also require
  combination of many features to work.

C interfacing -- regexps, gmp ..
  Compares performance and ease of interfacing
  to popular C libraries

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia