Fwd: Re: [Shootout-list] Science-related benchmarks (speedoptimisation)

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:06:51 +0200

Brent Fulgham wrote:
> --- Bengt Kleberg <bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com> wrote:

...deleted
>>there? why not compare
>>the normal compiler/runtime switches (vanilla) with
>>the best possible
>>combination of compiler switches (all-flavors)?
>>because that is even
>>more interesting.
>

> Yes, this could be done.

presumably there is a reason that we do not. given all the other answers
(telling me that my theoretical questions where wrong for the examples i
gave) i think that the faq entry would be:

different compilers are included, but not different versions of the same.
if a single compiler can give sufficiently different output (ie, byte
code vs native code) it is included.
but for each instance of the above, we do the best we can. just send in
the flags.

bengt