[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

Robert Seeger Robert Seeger <rhseeger@gmail.com>
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:46:55 -0400

------=_Part_446_11334915.1114775215717

It's not so much "solving a problem" as it is "making the collection of=20
tests more useful". If you look through some of the past discussions, you'l=
l=20
see it mentioned that having a wide variety of tests is a good thing. Those=
=20
examining the test results can pay attention to the tests that are=20
applicable to them. If one is interested in math, they can look at the math=
=20
tests... if not, they can ignore those tests.

By allowing one to pick certain groupings of tests to look at easily, it=20
makes the overall test results more useful, since it's easier and faster to=
=20
focus on the tests that are applicable to what one finds useful in a=20
language.

Rob Seeger

On 4/28/05, Isaac Gouy <igouy2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>=20
> What problem are these categories supposed to solve?
>=20
> --- Robert Seeger <rhseeger@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree with the idea of splitting the tests into categories. Might
> > it even be possible to define categories and use dynamic html to set
> > the weights on the test selection page according to the category
> > selected?
> >
> > Rob Seeger
> >
> > On 29 Apr 2005 07:52:00 +1000, skaller
> > <skaller@users.sourceforge.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Divide the tests into categories?
> > > <snip possible category descriptions>

------=_Part_446_11334915.1114775215717

It's not so much &quot;solving a problem&quot; as it is &quot;making the co=
llection of
tests more useful&quot;. If you look through some of the past discussions,
you'll see it mentioned that having a wide variety of tests is a good
thing. Those examining the test results can pay attention to the tests
that are applicable to them. If one is interested in math, they can
look at the math tests... if not, they can ignore those tests.<br>
By allowing one to pick certain groupings of tests to look at easily,
it makes the overall test results more useful, since it's easier and
faster to focus on the tests that are applicable to what one finds
useful in a language.<br>
gmail_sendername">Isaac Gouy</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:igouy2@yahoo.com">ig=
ouy2@yahoo.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; p=
adding-left: 1ex;">
What problem are these categories supposed to solve?<br><br>--- Robert Seeg=
er &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rhseeger@gmail.com">rhseeger@gmail.com</a>&gt; wro=
te:<br>&gt; I agree with the idea of splitting the tests into categories. M=
ight
et<br>&gt; the weights on the test selection page according to the category=
5 07:52:00 +1000, skaller
ts into categories?<br>&gt; &gt; &lt;snip possible category descriptions&gt=
;
------=_Part_446_11334915.1114775215717--