[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:19:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- Robert Seeger <rhseeger@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not so much "solving a problem" as it is "making the collection
> of tests more useful". If you look through some of the past
> discussions, you'll see it mentioned that having a wide variety of
> tests is a good thing.

Someone might have asserted it was a good thing - I don't recall seeing
anything to back up the opinion.

(And we're begging the question "making the collection of tests more
useful" for what purpose?)

> Those examining the test results can pay attention to the tests that
> are applicable to them. If one is interested in math, they can look
at
> the math tests... if not, they can ignore those tests.
>
> By allowing one to pick certain groupings of tests to look at easily,
> it makes the overall test results more useful, since it's easier and
> faster to focus on the tests that are applicable to what one finds
> useful in a language.

If you were the person who created the groupings then it's easier to
focus on ... Otherwise you have to learn and remember someone else's
idea of what group to hide the benchmark in.