[Shootout-list] What people say about shootout

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:32:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Robert Seeger <rhseeger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Heh. Those are the types of tests that I like. Since my real world
> problems tend to have more to do with text processing than the
> math-oriented ones most people here are interested in...

Thanks for reinforcing the point, people find an immense diversity of
problems interesting.

I find this interesting "Jingle Bells: Solving the Santa Claus Problem
in Polyphonic C" but as a problem for shootout it sucks (too hard to
implement - yeah I know it's doable in Ada).

http://research.microsoft.com/~nick/polyphony/santa.pdf

Rather than thinking of our favourite interesting problems, or
favourite applications, we might think about what chunks of
functionality are missing from the benchmarks.

- no regex replace and regex match repeatedly does the same thing, the
fasta files are big chunks of text do regex processing on them instead

- no dynamic data structures, health (sandbox) uses list operations and
tree traversal but it's big, and it's not particularly obvious to me
how it would be implemented in Haskell.

- object and object-methods repeatedly do the same thing rather than
calculate a result, and ...