Fwd: Re: [Shootout-list] Ray tracer developments

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 06:10:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
-snip-
> > You don't have to be Jon Bently to recognize that
> > better compilers may give you multiples of
> > performance, but that better algorithms give you
> > orders of magnitude of improvement.
> >
> > I kind of like this idea -- what do the rest of you
> > think?
> >
> > I also think that I will get even more whiney
> > hate-mail than usual if we implement this change,
> > but I find the mail more amusing than hurtful, so
> > I'm game for it!  :-)
>
> LOC is of course a poor measure of complexity.
> So a hard LOC limit is hard to justify.

LOC is a poor measure of how long the code is, let alone anything else.
Most folk notice that the original OCaml programs compress more onto
one line than they otherwise might.

I don't understand how LOC could be a surrogate for complexity.