[Shootout-list] Reboot

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg at ericsson.com
Fri Jul 29 07:17:14 UTC 2005

On 2005-07-29 02:59, skaller wrote:

>>>Yes, I like this page better than anything before.
>>>However Felix is not in it, can you please add it?
>>
>>No.
>>1) Too obscure - no users.
>>2) Too few tests completed.
>

> Thanks for giving the reasons.
>
> (1) How many users do you want, and how exactly do you specify
> a user?

...deleted

unless proved otherwise we can assume it is just an arbitrary decision
by somebody.
reason: somebody does not like strict rules (see
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list/2005-May/002052.html).

> (2) This is ENTIRELY unfair. I ask you to confirm with
> Brent -- Felix was only one of two languages to implement ALL
> but one of the original tests --- I put a LOT of work
> into writing those tests, and then the test set got
> changed.
>
> So i think this criteria is being applied unfairly:

it is not a question of ''being applied unfairly''. the criteria is in
itself unfair. the ''Maybe we will'' bit gives it away. not to mention
that there is no definition of ''the benchmark programs''. somebody does
not like strict rules. from the faq:

''Please will you include my favourite language?

Maybe we will when you write 15 of the benchmark programs in your
favourite language, and contribute them to "The Great Computer Language
Shootout" :-)''

bengt