[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:15:15 +0100

I've just been playing around with my ray tracer and have updated the C++ vs
OCaml comparison page:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ray_tracer/comparison.html

and have added a C++ vs SML comparison page:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ray_tracer/comparison_cpp_vs_sml.html

I've noticed that gcc 4.0 produces substantially slower code than gcc 3.4 on
this benchmark (on both x86 and AMD64) so I'm wondering if the switch to 4.0
isn't too early? Have other benchmarks improved?

I'm not sure why the ray tracer has been marked as "closed" given that many
implementations remain to be added (mlton, java, gcj, smlnj, ocamlc and g95).

Assuming the optimised versions will be uploaded at some point, I think it
would be useful for people to have a reference to the original C++ and OCaml
implementations on my webpage (the first link in this post).

I'm keen to see the Mlton implementation make it onto the shootout because it
is by far the fastest on my computer.

Objective CAML for Scientists