[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:11:32 +0100

On Sunday 19 June 2005 13:26, Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> On 2005-06-19 13:28, Jon Harrop wrote:
> if the description is imprecise it could be improved upon.

Giving a program is the easiest way to get a "formal" specification.

> if the mapping for all tests is (only) a program, what language(s?) do
> you suggest we use?

C++ and OCaml works well for the ray tracer. The OCaml might be easier to read
(anyone?). I've never programmed in Java, C# and haven't used Fortran for a
long time but I can still read them. So I don't really think it matters.
IMHO, it will be more compelling for people reading the shootout if there is
a succinct program (like my 57-line ray tracer). Reading 471 lines of Eiffel
isn't quite so appetising. :-)

Objective CAML for Scientists