[Shootout-list] PHP 5, Haskell 6.4

Einar Karttunen ekarttun@cs.helsinki.fi
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:17:21 +0200

Alexandre <Xlex0x835@rambler.ru> writes:
> What about add/update PHP with latest PHP 5 version? And what about
> update Haskell to the latest 6.4 version (it should be lots of speed
> improvements there)?

Most benchmarks do work with GHC 6.4 and fixing the remaining few
should not be hard. I can look at those in the weekend if GHC is
updated.

The performance benefits are not so stunning, but 6.4 includes
Text.Printf which is a very nice addition. I will probably convert
all the benchmarks printing doubles to that when the shootout updates
GHC.

> And by the way, as far as I understand, Haskell compiles with '-O2'
> options, while C compiles with '-O3' - that's not fair!

Yes, isn't it fair that GHC has no -O3 option. You could try tweaking
options passed to gcc by GHC but I haven't found that generally
worth the while, and in some benchmarks using GHCs own nativecode
generator is faster...

- Einar Karttunen