[Shootout-list] C++ pidigits

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:06:03 -0800 (PST)

--- Robert Seeger <rhseeger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it acceptable to use external libraries in
> shootout submissions?

In general, I don't like to use external libraries
unless they are in wide distribution (or more
importantly, that they are available as a Debian
package I can install).

So, you can feel free to use GMP, NumPy, etc.

But please don't point me at some hard-to-find library
that you want to use for one specific test.  If you
wish to use the same library for all numerical tests,
for example, that's fine.

One area I would be a bit hesitant to enter would be
a C program calling a FORTRAN-based library, since
we would no longer be testing the ability of C
to handle numerical computations.

To that end, something like the C++ 'Matrix Template
Library' is fine for C++, but perhaps not FLAC.

-Brent