[Shootout-list] Re: ackermann, fibonacci and takfp benchmarks

Daniel South WildCard_25@HotMail.Com
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:13:44 +1000

Aaron Denney wrote:
> On 2005-03-19, Daniel South <WildCard_25@HotMail.Com> wrote:
> > This will of course impact the languages that had been optimising
> > out
> > the recursions, but the whole point is to test the cost of calling
> > the
> > function, not to test how well the compiler optimises.
>
> "The cheapest function call is one the compiler can optimize away."
> IOW, I think it's completely valid as is.

As a test of how well a language handles recursive function calls, I
agree that these are good tests

The text referred to in the ackermann benchmark, however, lead one to
believe that it is a test of function call overhead.

The fibonacci benchmark doesn't state one way or the other.

And now that I've actually read the text for the TAK benchmark :-). It
does state that it tests a compilers tail recursion.

Daniel South