[Shootout-list] Faster Ruby nbody benchmark

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:34:01 -0800 (PST)

> > No, to manually unrolling loops!
> >
> > (Doug Bagley explicitly stated that manually
> > unrolling loops wasn't
> > interesting, I guess we need to add the same
> > exclusion.)
>
> I've been adding these approaches as "interesting
> alternatives", which I guess flies in the face of
> Doug's statement ;-)

Ho ho :-)

The Ruby program showed up as an 'accepted' program - not as an
alternative.

> Manually unrolling loops == more LOC, so perhaps
> we should allow them (or as 'interesting
> alternatives' and let the LOC metric start to
> be taken into account?

LOC isn't even a good indicator of concise syntax!

For Shootout to work as some-kind-of comparison between language
implementations (rather than programmer effort or skill), the programs
need to be plain vanilla comparable.

Yes many languages have optimising compilers which will unroll loops -
the language implementation is doing the work, that's the point!